A Challenge for My Week

Tags

After debating for a couple of days on how best to shrink the (very detailed, very long) stitching list that is beginning feel a trifle looming, I have decided to set myself a week-long challenge.

For one 7-day week, I aim to complete one sewing project every day.

I have two or three dresses cut and started, a tunic pattern in the final drafting stages, with at least one test run cut and ready to go, a baby jacket cut, and a whole batch of baby gifts planned for a couple of dear friends who are expecting. All that to say, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, hence the need to actually complete some of them, and get them off of my shoulders (metaphorically speaking).

So, I aim to complete at least seven projects this week, at least one each day, with accompanying photo(s) and brief description of process and product. Yay! Here goes …

Advertisements

Dipping My Toes In

Tags

I sat on the picnic bench in the backyard this afternoon to begin relearning about simple bodice construction. While Sprout scribbled happily on the bench beside me (unfortunately, it was quite literally on the bench), I traced, cut, and measured two of her dresses.

I had one packed away with her outgrown 12 month clothes, which is, I think, my all-time favourite dress, fit-wise. It has a large, variegated dot print that I’ve never really cared for, so I called the resulting pattern the Bubble Dress.

The other dress was a flea market find that a friend brought over for me when Sprout was itty bitty. I hung it up, and just waited (and waited, and waited) for her to grow into it. It is a generously sized 18 month dress, in the most beautiful turquoise. I called it the Flea Market Dress.

After tracing the dresses onto copy paper, I measured the actual dresses, corrected the diagrams (which were off by a surprising amount), and added my preferred 1/2 inch seam allowance.